One of the most popular home improvement projects is a bathroom remodel. Part of what makes them so popular is the ability to spring for a tub-to-shower conversion or a replacement shower. This kind of change can completely transform the bathroom and have you feeling like it’s a new home all over again.
While that new shower installation you just got may look great now, it won’t stay that way for much longer unless you establish and maintain a cleaning routine. Over time, problems like soap scum, mildew, and other stains can take root and have that new shower look like a decrepit mess. That’s why the team at Miller Home Renovations would like to share our top tips for keeping that new shower clean and beautiful.
Our Top 8 Steps to a Clean Shower
The good news for homeowners is the following tips can help you whether your shower installation is brand new or you’ve had the same shower for 20 years.
- Start With a Rinse: Before you concern yourself with any other tips, take the time to give everything from the tiles to the glass doors a quick rinse. This can remove the top layers of any grime and hair that is starting to build up. It’s best if you have a detachable showerhead, but a bucket full of clean water will get the job done.
- Pay Attention to the Shower Curtain: Over time, the shower curtain is going to accumulate germs, grime, and other unpleasant things. That’s why you should periodically wash the curtain with a few old towels to remove those layers. Make sure to air-dry the curtain instead of chucking it in the dryer.
- What About Shower Doors: For those with shower doors, you’ll want to use this handy trick to combat problems such as smearing and limescale. Spray a can of WD-40 onto the shower door and then wipe it off with a paper towel after approximately 20 minutes has passed. You’ll be amazed by the shine left behind.
- Prevent the Mildew: Mildew is easier to fight when it never has a chance to show up. You can prevent mildew by soaking the freshly cleaned shower curtain in a bowl of water and salt.
- Invest in Sponges: Those dishwashing sponges can work for your shower as well. Choose your desired cleaning mixture and go to work. The brush makes for light work during the cleaning.
- Showerheads Need Love Too: As the months go by, the showerhead can get shower scum buildup just like the rest of the shower. To fight this, all you need to fill a sandwich bag with baking soda and vinegar and leave it on overnight. The next morning you’ll see that shower scum fall right off.
- Use a Squeegee: You can get these from a hardware store or online. They not only help with regular windows and windshields, but they also work miracles on any other glass surface that makes up your shower such as a shower door or glass shower walls. By removing the excess water from the glass you can ensure no smudges are left behind.
- Vinegar: Yes it works specifically for the showerhead, but if you put vinegar and water in a spray bottle you end up with a powerful cleaner that is sure to remove even the toughest stains and scum buildup. Keep this handy and you’ll never go wrong.
Showers and More with Miller Home Renovations
While showers are an ideal feature for most households, you may want to consider a shower-to-tub conversion if the idea of a luxurious bath is appealing. The team at Miller Home Renovations is here to help our customers with all of their bathroom needs. We proudly offer high-quality products backed by superior installations done in as little as one or two days.
If your shower is damaged or just can’t get clean then consider a replacement shower from Miller Home Renovations. Give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional shower installation services or fill out our online form to schedule your free quote.
Subscribe to Miller Home Renovations's Blog